Is Thai Massage Good for Scoliosis?
Is Thai Massage Good for Scoliosis?
If you’re one of the 3% of people around the world who have scoliosis, chances are, you’re looking for a better way to relieve your discomfort.
Thai massage is one of the most effective types of massage therapy. It brings a lot of benefits and can ease the symptoms of many medical conditions. But is Thai massage good for scoliosis?
What is Scoliosis?
Scoliosis is a structural deformity of the spine characterized by a lateral “S” or “C” curve in the spine. Depending on the severity of this curvature, scoliosis can cause discomfort and may even affect the functioning of your organs.
There are two types of scoliosis:
- Structural/ Idiopathic Scoliosis – The cause of structural scoliosis is unclear, and when we don’t know the cause, it is more challenging to effectively treat it. While this type of scoliosis is usually managed through custom braces or surgery, Thai massage can help ease the discomfort that comes with it.
- Functional/ Secondary Scoliosis – Sometimes, scoliosis occurs as a secondary result of another condition. Some examples include muscular dystrophy, cerebral palsy, and other neuropathic conditions.
How Thai Massage Helps
When you have scoliosis, the natural curvature of your spine is distorted, causing postural imbalances such as uneven hips and shoulders, deformities in the ribs, and arms. You may notice that your legs appear to be at different lengths. This asymmetry caused by scoliosis negatively impacts muscle tone and causes asymmetrical tightness of specific muscle groups.
During the session, the Thai massage practitioner will apply pressure on indicated trigger points to reduce muscle contraction. This helps address the imbalances within the muscles along the spinal column through compressions and tapping with traditional tools.
You can consult your Thai massage therapist to determine the best frequency of sessions to re-establish the equilibrium in your body.
In general, Thai massage offers several benefits for people suffering from scoliosis (and even for people who don’t have it). These include:
- Muscle relaxation
- Improved joint mobility
- Pain reduction
- Enhanced blood flow to the muscles and tissues
- Tension relief in tight areas of the body
- Improved mood
Many treatment methods have been developed to correct scoliosis or prevent it from getting worse. It’s important to note that Thai massage should not be used as a corrective therapy or as a replacement for your current treatment. Instead, you should add Thai massage in conjunction with or as a supplement for the recommended treatment.
Just to be sure, you might also want to confirm with your doctor if it is safe for you to get a Thai massage while considering the level of severity and the treatment you’re currently getting. For the best results, you can combine bracing and Thai massage with at-home exercises to manage your symptoms and improve your condition.
What You Can Do to Ease Scoliosis Symptoms
Besides Thai massage, bracing, and other therapies, there are other things that you can do for yourself to ease your symptoms. Here are some simple tips:
- Use a quality mattress– If you have a cushiony mattress, you might want to consider replacing it with a firm or medium-firm mattress. Use additional pillows to provide support where you need it for extra comfort. Also, it is not recommended to sleep on your stomach, as this position requires you to turn your head to one side, thereby twisting your spine and causing the thoracic spine to become flatter.
- Keep moving– Standing or sitting at the same position for extended periods of time can stress your muscles, leading to the worsening of symptoms. So as much as possible, take the time to stretch and take walks. If your work involves sitting for long periods, it is recommended to invest in a quality chair that offers optimal support for your back.
- Improve your core strength– There are countless exercises to improve your core strength. It is important to work out this muscle group because this supports proper posture.
- Get help with your chores– Strenuous physical activities that require bending such as cleaning the floor can worsen your condition. Getting help with such chores will prevent symptoms from getting more serious. If you can, you should also try to avoid carrying heavy packs so as to not add pressure to your spine.
Thai Massage Therapist in New York You Can Trust
A simple online search for a Thai massage therapist in New York yields hundreds of results, and we understand how difficult it is to choose one who is most suitable for your needs. If you’re looking for a highly experienced Thai massage practitioner whom you can trust, you should consider Thai Massage New York City.
Our founder and lead Thai massage therapist has been in the industry for nearly 15 years now, making ThaiMassage-NYC the most reputable Thai massage practice in the city. If you want to learn more about our expertise and the different types of Thai massage techniques we can provide, visit our website or get in touch with us today!
If you’re concerned about exposure to the public, too busy (or lazy) to go out for a massage, you can also book house calls and we’ll provide a relaxing Thai massage in the comfort of your home.
Online Booking System
Easily book an appointment on all your devices at any time of the day or night.
Credit Cards Accepted
Also Venmo, Zelle, ApplePay Fees for using different methods of payment.
We offer paid training
Are you ready to join our team? We offer paid training for NY licensed massage therapists.