Are you suffering from lower back pain?
Does it affect your day-to-day routine and prevent you from performing at your best? You are not alone!
According to the University of Maryland, about 60% to 80% of the entire U.S. population experiences lower back pain. One of the main reasons more than half of the country suffers from lower back pain is due to prolonged use of technology with improper posture. Because our bodies are not designed to accommodate these devices and we tend to contort ourselves while using them for many hours a day, our bodies experience adverse symptoms such as lower back pain.
There are many ways to treat lower back pain, and one of these is through Thai massage. An experienced Thai massage practitioner knows how to loosen the tight muscles and joints in any target area, providing comfort and relief.
In this article, we will take a deeper look at how Thai massage can help with your lower back pain.
Thai Massage as Lower Back Pain Treatment
Traditional Thai massage usually involves a full body massage and treatment techniques that focus on stretching the muscle and joint tissues to provide relief from body pains, including lower back pain.
Lower back pain problems that are not due to structural issues or illnesses are usually caused by a combination of weak back and abdominal muscles and by shortened or contracted leg muscles and abdominal area. The common reason behind these problems is a sedentary lifestyle that is characterized by prolonged sitting and lack of exercise.
Thai massage therapists will combine different poses and stretching exercises along with joint mobilization strategies targeting your lower back. These include:
- Prayer pose- The prayer pose involves sitting on the floor in a position similar to a child’s pose done in yoga. While your legs are crossed, lean forward with your arms outstretched and let the Thai massage therapist guide you as you stretch forward.
- Knee to elbow- The knee to elbow pose can be done by lying on your back with your knee bent as the Thai massage therapist supports your leg. While keeping your leg bent at an angle, the practitioner will press down on your hamstring to stretch it out. Tight muscles in your hamstring restrict your mobility in your pelvic area and may cause lower back pain.
- Angel twist pose- Another pose that can loosen your back is the angel twist which is performed by lying on your back as the Thai massage practitioner bends your leg at a 90-degree angle over your body. This should give you a soothing stretch and ease your symptoms.
Other approaches that a Thai massage expert may take to alleviate your lower back pains include:
- Relaxation and stretching of relevant muscles including the hamstring, gluteus, quadriceps, inner thigh adductors, abductors, piriformis, latissimus dorsi, quadratus lumborum, erector spinae, and abdominal muscles.
- Improving the mobility of the hip joint, sacroiliac joint, and the pelvic area
- Abdominal massage to clear up restrictions and ease tightness
- Acupressure to remove blockages in energy lines
Prevent Lower Back Pains
You’ve probably already heard the phrase “an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure”. You might be able to resolve your pain in one session, especially of you book a longer appointment. Sometimes people experience so much relief they come back the next day just because it felt so good. Even the more severe and set-in cases can be resolved in two or three sessions. Consider continuing on with a Thai Massage package. By receiving Thai massage on a regular basis you can stay ahead of the pain and keep it from developing.
One of the most important aspects of preventing back pain is awareness.
You have to be mindful of your posture, especially while using the computer, your smartphone, or other gadgets. By maintaining proper posture, your muscles will be less strained and you will be less likely to experience lower back pain.
Other preventative measures include making healthier lifestyle choices, doing regular exercises, maintaining your weight, and learning the proper way to lift and carry heavy objects. By strengthening your lower back and abdominal muscles properly, you will be able to prevent lower back pains.
Simple changes in your everyday routines can also help you avoid lower back pain such as:
- placing a small, firm cushion on your lower back when sitting for extended periods of time
- using a pillow that can support your lower neck while sleeping
- using an ergonomic chair with postural support
- walking on flexible rubber mats at work
- wearing shoes with soft soles for comfort and support
There are many other ways to prevent lower back pain. You simply have to be aware of what causes it and try to improve your habits. You can learn a lot about yourself and your specific condition by receiving a good Thai massage. You may also consult with your physician or your trusted Thai massage practitioners for some tips to prevent your back problem from worsening.
If you’re suffering from lower back pains, Thai massage is a wonderful solution for helping you feel better. For best long-term results, it is recommended to book regular Thai massage sessions and maintain proper posture.
Not sure where to get a good Thai massage? Thai Massage NYC is the best Thai massage therapist in New York that can deliver a wide range of techniques that target the lower back and other body parts.
Get in touch with us today so we can help you explore the most suitable options for your symptoms. You may either visit us in the studio or book a house call with us to enjoy a relaxing Thai massage session from the comfort of your own home.